I was recently having a conversation about the dangers of posting certain things on social media. We live in a culture now where we tend to share our lives with the digital world. Businesses are run online and often with a personal touch…and there’s nothing inherently wrong with it. Social media is a great way to connect with your friends and family across the country, even the world. And it’s a great way for people to stay in touch and updated on each other’s live. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t potential dangers lurking and you shouldn’t be aware and careful.
Below are a few tips to keeping your social media accounts safe for you and your child(ren):
1) Keep track of your privacy settings on all your accounts. For optimal privacy and security, make sure your posts are visible to “friends only” or “followers only”.
2) Don’t accept friend or follow requests from people you don’t know personally.
3) Don’t post about an activity and a location that is actively going on. It tells potentially dangerous people where you are and what you’re doing. It also tell them that your home is unoccupied and potentially puts you at risk for theft.
4) Don’t post any information about your child including their full name, date of birth, where they attend day care, where they participate in sports, etc.
5) NEVER post pictures of your child in the following circumstances: nude or semi-nude, in the bath tub, on the toilet, with anything with personal information on it, with anything that could potentially show where you live or where you are at the moment.
6) Be careful and respectful of posting pictures of other people’s children. If you don’t know them well and aren’t sure if they’d be ok with it, be sure to ask them first.
7) Finally, be respectful of the fact that your child will one day grow up and know what you’ve posted about them. So avoid anything potentially embarrassing or anything that you yourself wouldn’t want posted personally.
#socialmedia #kidsafety #childsafety#socialmediasafety #parenting #momlife#momma #momblogger